Health and Human Services

MIRA works to ensure immigrant access to healthcare and other human services. This section provides resources for immigrant populations on access to affordable healthcare, getting help for sexual assault and domestic violence and finding assistance with other human services such as housing and food stamps.

Below are links to information about important assistance available to low-income Massachusetts residents.

               Low-income Benefits - Mass Legal Help

    Getting Food Stamps - Project Bread

       Housing Elibility - Mass Legal Help


Healthcare Access

Health Care for All's HelpLine is a free resource available to everyone to answer your questions about health coverage in Massachusetts. You can reach the HelpLine by calling 1-800-272-4232. HelpLine Counselors are available 9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday.

You may be able to access healthcare through Commonwealth Care or Commonwealth Care Bridge.  For all of your Commonwealth Care health plan options, call the Health Connector at (877) 623-6765 (TTY: (877) 623-7773), Monday - Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, or visit

If you are a legal immigrant with Special Status, Commonwealth Care Bridge through CeltiCare may be your connection to healthcare.  This program has been funded through the end of June 30, 2011.  Find out more here.

Health Care For All's Insurance For Immigrants FAQ

Health Care For All's Mass Health Limited FAQ

Domestic Violence

Government support for survivors of domestic violence/sexual assault


The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows survivors of violence whose spouse is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident to pursue a family-based immigration petition on their own, without relying on the abuser to sponsor them.


The U visa is an immigration status available to victims of violent crimes who cooperate with law enforcement in the investigation and/or prosecution of the crime. 

FAQ: US Citizenship and Immigration Services


The T visa is an immigration status available to victims of human trafficking. Individuals brought into the country for commercial or sexual exploitation who cooperate with law enforcement may be eligible.
FAQ: US Citizenship and Immigration Services