SAFETY FIRST! Safe Driving Bill Hearing and Press Conference Postponed Until March 5
Potential snow storm delays hearing on bill that would ensure all Massachusetts drivers are tested, licensed and insured
"By removing immigration status as a barrier to applying for a learner's permit and taking a driving test, the Safe Driving Bill would reduce both accidents and costs," said State Senator Patricia Jehlen, the lead Senate sponsor of the Bill. "Not only would roads become safer, police and other officials who monitor our roads and highways would be able to focus on that safety first and foremost.”
The Safe Driving Bill…
- Saves Lives – By increasing traffic law knowledge, the Safe Driving Bill would reduce fatal road accidents and flight from accidents (and it would help first responders identify accident victims)
- Saves Police Time and Resources – By reducing unlicensed driving, the Safe Driving Bill would free police to focus on their top priority, PUBLIC SAFETY.
- Saves Court Resources — The bill would reduce the black market for false licenses, and reduce the number of people who appear for driving without licenses.
- Deals with road safety and NOTHING else— This bill is practical. It does NOT give access to benefits; it doesn't give anyone a right to vote or work authorization.
- Increases Compliance with Mandatory Insurance Requirements – the Safe Driving Bill would require all motorists to have mandatory liability insurance. As a result, states that have passed Safe Driving Bills have reduced their uninsured population.
The bill also enjoys widespread and growing public support:
- Eight states plus the District of Columbia have passed similiar legislation IN THE PAST YEAR ALONE
- A Fox 25 News online poll gathered almost 26,000 votes with support for the bill running OVER FOUR TO ONE.
- Radio pundit Michael Graham also ran an online poll with over 70% SUPPORT for the Safe-Driving Bill
POSTPONED PRESS CONFERENCE DETAILS
- Senator Patricia Jehlen and Representative Tricia Farley Bouvier, Bill Sponsors
- Natalicia Tracy, Executive Director, Brazilian Immigrant Center and Eva Millona, Executive Director, MIRA Coaltion,MCs
- Lisa A. Wong, Mayor, City of Fitchburg
- Joseph A. Curtatone, Mayor, City of Somerville
- Sergeant Glenn Fossa, Fitchburg Police Department
- William Joyce, former U.S. Immigration Judge
- Ronnie Millar, Executive Director, Irish International Immigrant Center
- Carly McClain, mother and Lynn resident
- Valdirene Oliveira, mother and Brazilian Women's Group member
WHAT: Postponed Press-Conference Supporting "Safe Driving Bill"
Massachusetts State House
WHEN: Wednesday, March 5, 12:15 PM
The MA Safe Driving Coalition includes over 50 organizations: The African Council; Agencia ALPHA; American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts; American Friends Service Committee; Anti-Defamation League; Berkshire Immigrant Center; Brazilian Immigrant Center; Brazilian Women's Group; Boston New Sanctuary Movement; Brockton Interfaith Community; Centro Comunitario de Trabajadores New Bedford (CCT); Cleghorn Neighborhood Center; CEDC of Southeastern Massachusetts; Centro Cristiano Tiempo de Dios; Centro Bom Samaritano; Chelsea Collaborative; Clinicians for Healthy Familes; Committee for Portuguese Legislation; Congregacion Leon de Juda; Dominican Development Center; Essex County Community Organization (ECCO); Framingham Adult ESL Plus; Greater Worcester Immigration Coalition; Hampshire Franklin Central Labor Council; Harvest Ministries of New England; Iglesia de Dios de la Profecia de Lynn; Immigration Pastoral Center, Inc.; Imperial Auto LLC; Irish International Immigrant Center; Joyce & Associates, P.C.; Just Communities of Western Massachusetts; La Comunidad, Inc.; Latino Health Institute; Latinos Unidos en Massachusetts (LUMA); Metro West Worker Center; Midwest Grill; Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition (MIRA); Massachusetts Law Reform Institute (MLRI); MIRA USA; Muqueca Restaurant; Merrimack Valley Project (MVP); New Lynn Coalition; Lynn Worker Center; REACH Beyond Domestic Violence; Maria Luisa de Moreno Int. Foundation; Neighbor to Neighbor (Worcester); Neighbors United for a Better East Boston (NUBE); Radio 650 AM; Rapo & Jepsen Insurance; 32BJ SEIU District 615; 1199 SEIU; SEIU Local 509; Spettus Steak House; Sonia’s Auto Car; Stephen W. Gersh Insurance Agency, Inc.; Temple Hillel B'nai Torah;UNITE HERE Local 26; Western Massachusetts Jobs with Justice; Worcester Interfaith.