Director of Finance & Operations
Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) will have internal responsibilities ranging from daily operations to supporting staff relationships. The DFO will partner closely with the ED to ensure implementation and evaluation of short and long-term initiatives/strategic planning in response to increasing demand of the organization’s work and a constantly changing political environment. The DFO will also be responsible for financial reporting, budgets, liaison to Board Finance Committee and auditors. The DFO will serve as administrator of the day-to-day operations of the organization. Working closely with the ED, the DFO will lead all aspects of the organization's operations. This position will strengthen and maintain the internal capacity of the organization.
Directly reporting to this position will be a bookkeeper/office assistant. The Development Director will also report to this position with regard to the proposal process, grant renewals and extensions, and contract administration. The Development Director will report to the ED for all other matters.
Job duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing financial information and support to MIRA’s Directors, staff and the Board of Directors
- Produce monthly financials, budgets and all related reports to the Board
- Monitor revenue and expenses and oversee the accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP
- Prepare annual operating budget and re-forecasts of budgets as needed
- Provide program budgets to Program Directors to help with budget spend down and maintaining costs
- Serve as Liaison to Board Finance Committee and Audit Committee
- Authorize expenditures and reimbursements according to budget
- Prepare audit reports and schedules throughout the year to be prepared for audit time.
- Provide budgets for proposals and report on existing grants and contracts
- Oversee/supervise bookkeeper regards to accounting issues
- Oversee the Director of Development with the proposal process and provide support for grant/contract administration
- Support MIRA Directors and staff with day to day operational matters
- Assist senior staff in staff development and establishing challenging priorities and performance goals
- Oversee implementation of MIRA’s Strategic Plan: the DFO will work with the Executive Director and Directors to meet the growth plans and targets, funding needs, recruiting goals and other plans
- Establish an endowment fund and work with ED and Development Director on marketing the fund
- Manage all vendor relationships, including selection and contract reviews; review and make recommendations on the lease/purchase of equipment (Copiers, Postage Meter, Mail Machine etc.)
- Design, implement and maintain internal operational processes such as timesheet submittal, vacation tracking, American Express, etc.
- Oversee facilities operation, including lease negotiation and management of office space
- Supervise a contract relationship with IT service provider
- Oversee office systems, tools and technology operations (database & website).
- Bachelor's degree in Management and Finance preferred with a minimum of 5 -8 years experience in non-profit management and operations
- Ability to plan, organize, and direct an organization’s strategy, programs and operations
- Proven experience with strategic planning, team building, and developing internal management capacity
- Broad range of management skills: managing personnel and organizational budgets, planning and decision-making
- Ability to motivate staff and simultaneously manage several projects
- Experience managing staff and working as a team player
- Experience working with non-profit boards and committees
- Experience with Federal, State and AmeriCorps funding.
The MIRA Coalition is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Immigrants and people of color are encouraged to apply.